How to apply patch when adpatch is currently running?
Some times you might apply a patch and during the process the patch failed at some workers, you search on metalink and find out that you need to apply patch in order to solve this failure, here in this case you have two options either to cancel the current patch and apply the fixing patch then reapply the patch again or you can do the following (apply the fixing patch without the need to reapply the first patch and its very helpful when you applying a huge patch).
Steps to do that are:
1. Using the adctrl utility, shutdown the workers.
2. Backup the FND_INSTALL_PROCESSES and AD_DEFERRED_JOBS tables.
3. Backup the .rf9 files located in $APPL_TOP/admin//restart directory.
4. Drop the FND_INSTALL_PROCESSES and AD_DEFERRED_JOBS tables.
5. Apply the new patch. Once this new patch is appiled successfully, then restart the previous failed patch by the following steps.
6. Restore the backed up .rf9 files.
7. Restore the FND_INSTALL_PROCESSES table.
8. Restore the AD_DEFERRED_JOBS table.
9. Re-create synonyms for APPLSYS.AD_DEFERRED_JOBS and APPLSYS.FND_INSTALL_PROCESSES.
10. Start adpatch, it will resume where it stopped previously.
If you need any assistance please don't hesitate to email me [firstname.lastname@example.org]